By default, your ESET security product will scan programs and memory at startup. If your system startup scan is taking an unusually long time to complete, you may have conflicting programs set to run at start up. You cannot cancel the startup scan once it has started, but you can temporarily disable the scan from running on system startup by following the directions below:
- Open the main program window by clicking the icon in the Windows notification area or by clicking Start → All Programs → ESET → ESET Smart Security or ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
- Toggle to Advanced mode by clicking Change… in the lower left corner and then clicking Yes if you are prompted to confirm or by pressing CTRL + M on your keyboard.
- In the left column, click Tools → Scheduler. The Scheduler/Planner window will be displayed.
- Deselect Automatic startup file check | System Startup file check. | User logon. By default, this is the fourth option down.
- Restart your computer. Your startup scan is now disabled.
Important! Disabling the ESET startup scan exposes your computer to risk and is only a temporary fix for a third-party application conflict. If possible, we recommend checking for other applications which are scheduled to run at startup and either deselecting their startup features or uninstalling the conflicting software from your computer. ESET is unable to provide support for other third-party applications.